Tuesday, March 09, 2010

My Multiple Fills With No Restriction

Wow, it's been forever since I wrote in my blog. The reason is I've been kind of discouraged. I've had two fills since my surgery on Jan 7th and I STILL have NO restriction!!! I know I'm supposed to be patient and I know that it often takes 2-3-4 fills before restriction occurs, but I wasn't going to be one of those people! I was going to have restriction right away!

Here's my fill history (warning: this is going to be very boring to everyone except me!):

I had my first fill Feb 22nd, stayed on the liquid diet for 3 days as instructed, and then started eating solids. I felt no restriction whatsoever. I followed the rules about no drinking liquids 5 min before and 30 min after, tried to eat the proper foods, etc, but could eat as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted. I started to gain almost immediately.

I called my new fill doctor, who does fills without fluoroscopy, by the way, and she said you have to wait at least a week for another fill. I scheduled my 2nd fill for 8 days after my first one and had it last Tuesday (a week ago). Same story with this fill. No restriction.

My first fill was 3ccs and my 2nd was .5ccs, for a total of 3.5ccs. My bandmates both got 4ccs on their first fills. My new fill doctor says that in her experience, people who had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of surgery are more sensitive to fills and can't take as many cc's as others, and they usually need more fills to get restriction. I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of surgery by the way.

SO, although I'm discouraged that I do not yet have restriction, I'm planning on getting yet another fill next Tuesday (2 weeks after my last fill) and hoping to get up to 4ccs.

I'm trying to be patient--I'm in this for the long haul.

Oh, one more thing. there are people on the forum I visit that say that one week between fills is too soon, and I think my daughter Janelle agrees with them. All I can say is, my new doc has an excellent reputation--she's really good and I trust her judgment.

Bottom line, I'm very glad I did this, meaning the surgery. I was really hoping to have lost more than 20 pounds by now (which is what I lost on my pre and post-op diet), but if I can maintain the 20 lb loss until I get restriction, then I'll be happy.

I'd be really interested in hearing about others who have experienced multiple fills with no restriction, or actually any stories about any of your fills, successful or not!

5 comments:

  1. So sorry you seemed to be flagging. But maybe now you've blogged it will get you back on track. And don't stress - it took most of us around the fourth fill mark before we got restriction too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could help you out Jill. I'm being banded in Mexico by Dr.Kuri on 3/24. I just found your blog and look forward to following you on your journey. Please stop by my blog to say hello. I need allthe help and encouragement I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I initially had 2 cc's put in during my surgery. Once the swelling went down, there was no restritction. A last Wed. I went and had a fill of 1.7 cc's and no restriction. My doctor said if I didn't feel anything, he would give me a bit more, so I went back yesterday and he gave me 1 more cc. I feel good today. My restriction is good, not too tight and my hunger is staying under conrtol so far. I, too, always wanted to be the one who hit my sweet spot right off the bat, but it was not to be. I'm just trying to be super patient! Oh, just to let you know, I posted about you on my blog to let others know about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! I found your blog through Stephanie. I look forward to reading more about you! I was banded YESTERDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill! I am also an Oregonian - I live in Eugene. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. You are in bandster hell! Just keep at it. You will find your perfect level very soon.

    ReplyDelete